A miniature cake test - fail and pass!

Monday, March 1, 2010


This week, my daughter and I decided to test drive a recipe I had found for a mini cake that you can do in the microwave oven. Seemed perfect for us as we always have to take our own cupcakes to birthday parties because of both my daughters' allergies. We had to modify the recipe to make if gluten free. All was going well as we mixed our mini batch of cake mix and loaded it into the mug for microwaving. Who could believe we'd have a delicious cake in 1 minute! With excitement brewing, we opened up the door and found...

Okay, so not quite what we were counting on. I'm not sure if it was the gluten free flour that threw it off or maybe the power of our microwave.


So we decided on Plan B. I had also recently bought the cutest little mini bundt pan with the hopes of coming up with a new way to whip up our little portable treats. I had an aha! moment and decided to make the recipe again (doubling it this time) and baking it in my new supercute pan in the oven this time. After 15 minutes, we had a perfect little cake.

A little decorating and voila – a delicious little dream cake.

I purchased my little pan locally at Thornblooms but I have seen them at Cucina Moderna as well. Just $4.99.

Mini Cake Recipe

4 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
a pinch of salt
4 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp oil

Mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Scrape batter into a small ramekin of mini cake pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Let cool and decorate.


0 comments:

Post a Comment