20 years of Christmas cards

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Long ago, when I graduated from the Sheridan College Illustration program, I decided to try my hand at illustrating my own Christmas Card. Who would have guessed that 20 years later, I’m still spinning them out with a little card portfolio under my belt. I’ve looked forward to doing them every year – almost like a little project that no one else dictates but myself. I’ve experimented with different mediums and styles and I always seem to come with a design that has “some assembly required”. In fact in 2003, I was in full labour with my second child while my mother and I were sitting around the kitchen table, hand trimming the last couple of cut-outs for my card!


This year, I went a little art deco, inspired by the designer Erte. The line inside the card reads "A woman can never have enough jewellery."



My little card portfolio is like a trip down memory lane, recalling where I was living, where I was working and who was in my life during each card project. The biggest challenge every year is coming up with the next great idea...

1 comments:

lindsey said...

I wish I had your ambition! Your cards are beautiful. People must love receiving them every year!

Post a Comment